Home News Train your HGV drivers through Skills Bootcamps scheme

Train your HGV drivers through Skills Bootcamps scheme

The Driver Academy Group (DAG) is encouraging more construction firms to apply for majority-funded places to train HGV drivers while places remain available.

DAG is a consortium led by HGV training specialist HGVC and comprising workforce solutions group Manpower and trade body Logistics UK. The group is already helping 42 construction and infrastructure firms train 260 employees as part of its majority-funded Skills Bootcamps in HGV Driving scheme.

When haulage driver shortages continue to contribute to market headwinds in the construction sector, according to property technology firm Search Acumen, the Department for Education (DfE)-funded Skills Bootcamps offer a lifeline for the construction and infrastructure firms.

More training places are still available, so HGVC is encouraging more construction and infrastructure firms to apply while places remain. Training of new drivers must start by December this year.

The HGV Skills Bootcamps are flexible courses of up to 16 weeks, helping people build up sector-specific skills. First launched in December 2021, the DfE extended the programme until 31 March 2024. The Skills Bootcamps are 70% funded by the DfE. Employers pay the remaining 30% of the course cost.

HGVC’s courses primarily focus on novice training, helping novice drivers gain their Category C (rigid lorry) licence, a Category C+E (articulated lorry) licence or helping those with a Category C licence upgrade to a Category C + E.

James Clifford, CEO of HGVC, said: “Many construction and infrastructure firms still need more HGV drivers [and] we have the capacity to train more. That’s why we’re encouraging construction and infrastructure firms to apply for the HGV Skills Bootcamps scheme, 70% funded by the DfE. For employers considering training budgets, this is a huge opportunity to train up new drivers or existing staff without blowing the budget.”

HGVC’s courses are open to any organisation looking to train any employee with a driver’s license. The training courses are available at 60 locations across the country. 

Employers interested in applying can visit www.hgv.academy

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More